Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Shoutbox

Board index » The Game » Suggestions

Post Posted: Wednesday, 06. May 2015, 10:53:37 
Level 30

Have thanks: 0 time
Favorite Class: Elemental Mage
Garena Account: LorenzorroX_X
Right now Mentalist is by far the least played class. Its been some time since i saw a 60MP Mentalist. In this thread i will try to explain the reason that i've found.
I'm going to evaluate Mentalists soloplay since partyplay makes goh alot easier and other classes would cover alot of her weakness. Mentalist is by far the hardest class to play solo and thats imo the reason why its not played often.

What does Mentalist lack compared to other classes?
all classes in goh have 12 skills that provide both offensive and defensive capabilities.

ranger for example has good stustained physical dmg with multishot and attackboosts while having 600 attackrange and rush to kite your enemies
seraph got good sustained dmg with either aoe spells or righteous fury while getting tankiness with grace,adduction etc.
necro gets his dmg with either minion attacks or dot spells and has his minions tank for him
non-caster warriors work with strong singletarget hits and require tankitems to make up for no tankspells

mentalists got 2 good aoe abilities. mana explosion and mindbreak got a decent radius. those abilities are fine dmgwise. arcane sphere, barrage and riftwalk are no true aoe abilities. they either have small aoe or use projectiles. 2 spells are not enough aoe burst to mob groups.
mana explosion provides good sustained dmg so that part is covered. mentalists singletarget should be strong though as he has a 2 seconds stun (1 sec against bosses) aswelll as the mentioned pseudo-aoe spells.

defensive mechanics: this is were mentalists biggest problems arise.
riftwalk has 3 seconds cd. thats not enough to get in and out of a monstergroup in time. also it has a very small blinkrange that should be increased no matter what. its hard to put distance with like 250 blinkrange and there also no point except to recover because the long-range fighting abilities of mentalists are weak.
shaping cant tank in lategame as it has no armor and miniondamage is scaled to compare with hp+armor increase.
manashield can also no tank for the same reason that miniondmg scales exponentially. you run out of mana very fast and you have to use hp pots aswell as manapots at the same time wich is impossible with a shared cd. mana is also the source of your spellcosts so its no good to have it run out every few seconds due to monsterhits.
there no slows and stuns apart from a singletarget stun so you cant blink in agressively do dish out dmg like EM because you dont have chains,freeze,explo(silence),blizzard,charged pulse to disable the ones you wanna kill.

to sum it up all defensive capabilities of mentalist are rather weak lategame (lvling till 50-60 should be fine iirc).
building mentalist like a warrior with focusing on hybrid/defensive gear is also not possible because mentalists spells and autohitsupport would be too weak to clear packs effectively in that case.

so how to improve mentalist?
1.) raise defensive capabilities.
having manashield give like 500mp/second in lategame (or even more depending on stats) in the active state wouldnt be a big deal as you loose a few thousand very fast if you attack medium size groups. right now aproaching groups with 5+ mobs is a nightmare as you cant burst/disable/tank them properly.
2.) improve passives. right now the passives are kinda awkward but you usually have to take atleast one of them as you dont have other good choices.
3.) add more defensive options. how about adding a stasis state that reduces all incoming dmg and takes away your ability to walk? mby add a second component to riftwalk that makes you return to your initial location after a second (so you can blink in. use shaping,mindbreak-mana overload and get back out). that would make menta the worst hero to farm aska with but it could be an option :p (also increase blinkdistance)
4.) add more synergy and/or change bad spells. overload for example is somewhat underwhelming. arcane fury(gives agi) and reserve (stuns and does agi dependend dmg) dont syngerize well because fury gives agi the more mana you lost while the stun only applies on 50%+ manapool.
5.)intended buildstly? right now its not clear how menta is intended to play. you got str/agi/int abilities but they are to weak to play real hybrid builds. this also limits your choices if you dont go for a 3-stat hybrid. mby think about removing a stat from the skill and focus on 2 attributes or make more spells do dmg dependend on the higher attribute.
to compare mageguild:
EM goes mostly int or agi (both with some str ofc) (lots of int spells and 1 ridiculous agi spell to enable agibuilds :P )
priest goes int or str or str/int hybrid (spells often have int and str component)
necro can go with anything (good alround abilities for all skillbuilds)
mentalist can go anything but sucks in all cases :p

those are my thoughts. hope you agree. feel free to make suggestions. i will add some later aswell

Guide to create custom hotkeys for Goh

Post Posted: Wednesday, 06. May 2015, 19:41:00 
Level 30

I may add more after I have given this some further thought, but for now, a possible value for the manashield regeneration would be something like
0.5 - 1 * str (or technically possibly int, though in that case the factor should be 0.5) * spellheal
at level 10.
The dependence on spellheal ensures, that the ability is not overpowered at low levels, but rather only increases at very high level with rare items, like Arch Mage Ring, or Corona.

(It is possible to go to a relatively high value of spellheal early on as well, but a very neglegible number of players farms build specific items from the start)

Post Posted: Wednesday, 06. May 2015, 19:50:40 
Level 30

Garena Account: LorenzorroX_X
PSYCHO[dkdc] wrote:
I may add more after I have given this some further thought, but for now, a possible value for the manashield regeneration would be something like
0.5 - 1 * str (or technically possibly int, though in that case the factor should be 0.5) * spellheal
at level 10.
The dependence on spellheal ensures, that the ability is not overpowered at low levels, but rather only increases at very high level with rare items, like Arch Mage Ring, or Corona.

(It is possible to go to a relatively high value of spellheal early on as well, but a very neglegible number of players farms build specific items from the start)

Yes. Thats what i was thinking of kinda. Even if a player had somewhat infinite mana at lvl 30 it would come with the cost of having low clearspeed and he would still have to tank the part that ignores the shield. there could also be a formular like 0.5*int+(0.5*str*spellheal) because int is actually the stat that represents manashield (and also the hero concept) the most. Also overbuffing the hero would generate more feedback because more players would try it out and tweaking the spells down afterwards will be easier. nobody is perfect anyway :)

Guide to create custom hotkeys for Goh

Post Posted: Wednesday, 06. May 2015, 20:12:57 
Administrator

again, thank you very much for your feedback regarding mentalist.

I am also eager to see more high level mentalist players and hope to create an environment in which this could be possible.
Right now I am in need of at least 1 or 2 new abilities for her to replace Overloading and Reserve.

These are the chosen spells I really dislike and besides that, they aren't that cool either.
However, I wish to hold on the rest of her abilities and I am open to improvements of one or another ability.

E.g. I want to see more Arcane Sphere users and would be happy to know in what direction it needs improvement. Same goes for Arcane Barrage which is still underestimated even after the great buff last version.

I have already implemented some of your suggestions in the upcoming version v1.35b and I will also spend another thought about them once I work on the map next time. ;)

Regards,
Robbepop

Post Posted: Wednesday, 06. May 2015, 22:52:15 
Level 30

A simple idea for Arcane Sphere is to add a stun. One of the Mentalist's problems is, that she misses AoE stuns. However, since it is hard to aim, even a considerable stun would not be overpowered, because it is highly unlikely, that all intended targets are hit (as opposed to stuns like Static Chains + Charged Pulse).

There may be other possible changes, but this will both increase the usage of Arcane Sphere and additionally increase the Mentalist's survivabiity (however, please do not misunderstand me at this point: A stun from a spell, which is particularly hard to aim, does not qualify as a sufficient or to some part even significant bonus to survivability).

I am unaware of the AoE size and damage in realistic builds, so I cannot judge, whether the use as a damage spell is sufficient.

Board index » The Game » Suggestions