Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Shoutbox

Board index » The Game » The Heroes » Mentalist

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 19:30:33 

Have thanks: 0 time
Favorite Class: Necromancer
Garena Account: xMasterjax
Masterja's Mentalist Total Guide

After my Necromancer guide, i decided i should make one for this new hero who quickly became my favorite. She has unique playstyle, many builds, as well as great spells! I hope this will help community understand this nice hero! Note that hero just came out, so i did not have time to test every build - i will update this guide as soon as i do.

1. Introduction
2. Pros and Cons
3. Skills
4. Gameplay
5. Leveling
6. Farming
7. Boss Killing
8. Items
9. Surviving the Hell
10. Maximum potential

1. Introduction

Mentalist is caster that can do any role at will, with just a little stats tweak. She is not as brutal DPS as ranger, nor is she grand tank as Seraph, neither hybrid like a warrior. Hell, she can’t even deal as much as damage as Elemental mage! So why play her then? Because she does all that at once – with pure INT build for example, she can deal damage, tank, has great manouverability. This can be done in any build, even AGI or STR, even Hybrid builds will suffice!

The spell this hero is concentrated on is without a doubt – Mana shield. It is just amazing spell. What it does is take the damage done to you, and instead of reducing your HP, it reduces mana by tweaked amount. At last level, it halves damage done, and absorbs it with mana – simply amazing!

2. Pros and Cons

Pros:
- Quite good DPS
- Good AoE
- Nice single target spells
- Silence spell
- Great tanking thanks to Mana Shield
- Only mana potions will be used thanks to Mana Shield
- Has a summon that is dependant on her stats
- Can restore targets mana
- Has a 3 seconds cooldown Blink

Cons:
- Not the best DPS/TANK/SUPPORT

3. Skills

3a. Overloading
This spell is one of few spells that restore mana when cast on friendly unit or self. Mana heal is dependant on STR of hero. It can also be cast on enemy to deal some nice damage based on INT.
3b. Mana Explosion
Just beautifull! The spell of mass destruction deals 70 + 70% INT as damage to all enemies in huge area every second. This spell is a must whenever visiting areas with mass amount of creeps, such as Orc camp, or maybe Dragon cave. The bad side is – unless you aren’t rich, and cannot afford many, many potions, do not get this spell. It wastes 5% of your maximum mana per second to be maintained.

3c. Mana Blade
When activated, you receive 8% of your current mana as damage on every attack for 10 seconds. This spell is very usefull when you aren’t the one who is attacked (since your mana is deained fast with mana shield on), or when you don’t have mana shield. Late game, when you have all teal items, you will have about 8000 Mana (on semi-INT build), which adds around 1000 damage per attack! Early game, this spell is useless.

3d. Mana Shield
The most beautifull spell avaliable to Mentalist. This is bread and butter spell, that should be used AT ALL TIMES. There are of course, some cases, such as Mana blade build, where Mana shield only lowers your potential… However, in pure INT builds, at end of game, you will have around 8000+ mana, means 16.000 effective hp with mana shield on! With endless potion in inventory, you will be invulnerable, and will be able to tank Chronos’ meteors no problem!

3e. Shaping
Quite interesting spell! It creates a shadow of yourself, that acts like any other summon, and has its health proportional to amount of STR of hero, damage proportional to AGI of hero, and when it dies, or time is up, it deals AoE damage proportional to INT of hero. This spell will be only spell that is used at all times, regardless of LVL, items or role. It can help tanks tank better, DPS-ers deal more damage, and INT’s survive and damage enemies also.

3f. Reserve
A spell for AGI mentalists. It deals damage based on AGI, and should mentalist’s mana be lesser than 50%, it deals 50% bonus damage to enemy. Quite good in boss fights, since it also stuns for few seconds. All in all, its only usefull for AGI mentalists.

3g. Riftwalk
Indeed, Elemental mage has nice Explo spell, so does Ranger, but both of those have more than 5 seconds cooldown, and medicore range. Mentalist on other hand, has Riftwalk spell that has 3 seconds cooldown, semi-short range, and deals damage based on INT. I think its best out of the blinks ingame because of its short cooldown. Also, before some serious fight, cast this spell few times to rack up few stacks, since more you cast it, higher damage you will deal!

3h. Arcane Furry
A passive spell, adds 10 STR and INT to hero per 11% of mana missing, up to 60 STR and INT. It is quite good passive for any build that has Mana shield and Mana explosion in it, since those waste mana quite fast. This spell works pretty nice - when you run out of mana, you will have 600 extra HP to tank a bit, and some mana regen (60 int) as well.

3i. Power-Up
Power-up is similar to Arcane Furry, except you get AGI and INT when you cast spell. If used in combination with arcane furry and some castable spells, you end up with having +60 AGI and STR, and +120 INT for some time! That is not small amount I tell ye’!

3j. Meditation
Meditation is bread and butter spell. It increases mana of Mentalist by 500 in end. It is not really that much, but its quite a nice passive that allows you to tank 1000 more damage with Mana Shield, or cast 3 more spells before going down (when theyre lvl 10)

3k. Arcane Barrage
This fancy spell shoots AGI dependant amount of missles, dealing INT dependant amount of damage to first enemy they come in contact with. Nothing really special about this spell, but its usefull to AGI/INT builds.

3L. Mindbreak
Ahh, we come to mindbreak at long last! Its your spamable skill that deals lots of damage dependant on AGI, and refils you whole lot of mana dependant on STR. This spell allows you to tank a lot more with STR/INT build. It also comes with a hefty silence that can be used in PvP!

4. Gameplay

Okay, i further explored Mentalist stat builds, and i must say, i was wrong when i said there are many ways to play. In fact, i think there is only 1 effective way to play this hero and achieve her full potential. Its Pure INT build. Why this one? Since with lots of INT, you get lots of mana that makes you tank (you get same result with STR builds, but you can't really deal damage), then you deal huge DPS, around 3500 with each spell on full teals (you can't do even close with AGI build, let alone tanking), and you dish out TONS of auto-attack damage late game - 1000 damage per attack with mana blade, plus max attack speed with phase gloves. I think i proved why INT build is better than any other.

5. Leveling

Leveling is not so hard with mentalist. Her Shape can tank some damage while you take out enemy.

Levels 1 – 10
Just keep killing Kobolds, and watch for Mana Crystals. Take any Mana Crystals that fall down, and Dynasty Bow can also increase your DPS by quite a bit. Do not spend money on gaining SP at this point, there are no usefull items for you in Freezor nor Aurum.

Levels 2 – 20
Quite hard part for mentalist. You do not have good tankability just yet, nor DPS. You need to use shape to tank every creep, and dish out as much as damage possible with riftwalk and mindbreak. You will need quite a bit of potions here. Go to Taya mountains till about level 18, then try to do some quests to get 19/20 fast.

Levels 20 – 30
Quite easy leveling in Orc camp thanks to your mass AoE spells. Just keep blinking and casting mindbreak, and you should level up to 24 no problem. Be on lookout for skeletal mages that drain your mana! They are extremely dangerous! After level 24, kill harpies till you reach 28. Last two levels can be gained by killing Snape Dragons on harbour. AVOID TOX DESERT AT ALL COSTS! Scorpions and zombies simply rape you!

Levels 30 – 40
Buy yourself a boat (2000 gold one, or better) in harbour north of Melergaba, and sail off to island with Naga. Keep killing naga untill you reach 40. Don’t go to island with treants, nor to swamps. Both places are deadly for leveling! In tree isle, you will get perma-rooted, and swamp is just hard region.

Levels 40-50
Shadows in the battlefield are the way to go. They give nice experience, and items, as well as set you are looking for. Even when you reach level 50, DO NOT fight dragons in cavern unless you are in party! Those dragons simply eat mana shield alive, and so will they eat you… Instead, keep fighting shadows. There is one problem though – Dragon lord holds Crystal mace, Boots, Shield and Orb that you all need. If you find few people doing Dragon cave, by all costs, go and join them. You need those items.

Levels 50-60
Now that you finished shadows, keep going further, into Askatar. Creeps there at this point will be no match for you, and they give some nice experience. After you reach 60, feel free to go to hell! No, no, no, I meant region known as hell, not an insult ^^

6. Farming

Farming Gold is quite easy at all times with Mentalist. In first 30 levels, best place is wolfrest rock. Wolves are numerous, give some nice gold, and respawn close.

From levels 30 till 50, Orc camp is way to go. Now those towers stand no chance against you, and you do gain nice money there!

Above Level 50, you can kill nagas quite fast, and do that quest given by pirate on Naga isles. Quite a nice gold income there.

Last but not the least, once you get some teal items, and really high mana + damage, you can farm dragons. They give most money out of anyone, but are hardest to farm aswell.

7. Boss Killing

Most of these bosses were killed in pure INT build, so i do not know performance of other builds in this case.

- Freezor

Just keep auto-attacking him, using ocasional spells, and let your mana shield tank damage. Bring lots of potions, and perhaps Captain of Orkenbrough with quest. Soloing this boss for lulz is useless, since he doesn’t drop anything you need.

- Aurum

This guy has some nice regeneration, and you wont be abble to top that untill you reach about level 25. Just get mana shield, your Shape, mindbreak, and at least one level of blink. Keep spaming spells, and bring lots of potions as well. No use in killing him either, he doesn’t give anything cool for you.

- Azura

Quite nice boss – easy to solo, and nice drops here. Mana shield, shape, minbreak, BLINK (a must) and whatever else you like. When she uses fire breath, blink out, and wait for it to pass away, then blink in and rape her.

- Naga Queen

Tsunami eats your shield alive. When she casts Tsunami, blink out, and she will follow you out of it. Then keep killing her in any manner you can. Take some AoE spells, since Queen keeps summoning water elementals, also to clear any naga nearby.

- Broodmother

She is hard to solo. If you have someone to tank, just keep spaming spells and she is easy target. If you don’t, do not engage her till level 50 at least. Just keep killing eggs, and you will be alright. Before you try to kill her, make sure you clear out area all around her - sometimes, those treants with entangle come from who knows where, and bind you to earth for the lulz.

- Xi-Pasi-Mu

The funky-named rock is hard to kill. He has infamous Overgrow spell that rots you in place. He always casts it at 75%, 50%, 25%, so when you get him to 75%, he overgrows you, and regenerates to about 78% while youre rotted. Goal is to spam as much as you can when he overgrows, so you bring him down to 70%. Actually, for Mentalist, he is easier than other classes. You have Mana shield to tank his DPS, you have damage to bring his HP down, and you can wear him down, although slow.

- Dragonis

Piece of cake if you eliminate all dragons around him. His summons arent match for your AoE, his damage can be easily tanked by Mana Shield, so its kinda easy fight. He also carries 4 items you need – Mace, shield, orb and boots. Note: Some people have a lot of trouble soloing Dragonis. This fight was atempted in pure INT build, i cannot say anything about other builds.

- Pit Robot

Quite a hard battle, he deals a lot of damage, and drains shield fast. Keep spamming at all times! He doesn’t hold any usefull items for you. Maybe rocket launcher to keep in courier for AoE stunning?

- Askalor and Chronos

Never soloed Aska or Chronos, however if you try to kill them with team, use these builds:

Askalor: Mindbreak, Riftwalk, Mana Shield, Shape, Arcane Barrage, Any passive you want (Meditate works best for low-int characters to allow your mana shield to absorb some more damage). When fighting Askalor, focus Barrage, Mindbreak and Shape on Askalor, and whenever creeps appear, blink into them, and Mindbreak. Mana shield will tank all of the Fireballs without a problem.

Chronos: Mindbreak, Riftwalk, Mana Shield, Shape, Arcane Barrage, Overloading
The goal when fighting Chronos is not to get killed by laser or Channel (something im not so good at xD). At all times, stay behind him - when he starts Laso, either blink trough it (something im also not so good at), or just run away. When he starts channeling, your riftwalk will serve you like charm when getting away from explosion.

8. Items

There are so many different items for different builds, and I don’t have time nor patience to list them all. Just be on lookout for items that give AGI, INT and/or Mana, as well as few items I mentioned earlier. However, some items can be used as a nice combo for mentalist:

- INT build + Arcane Shield + Phase Gloves = Your Mana blade will deal tons of more damage, at maximum attack speed. Furthermore, even reduced armor by Gloves cannot stop you if you tank with Mana Shield (since it ignores armor). Well, of course, your mana shield will drain Mana Blades damage, but if you got pots, nothing can stop you.

- Phase Gloves + Bloodlust = First, tank a bit with your HP. Whenever it gets low, just turn the Mana Shield on, and let the show begin! You will restore health like a madman! When your HP is full, just switch mana shield off again, and repeat.

- Crystalix + Scythe of the Dark Judge + Magus Defender + Phase Gloves = Huge manasteal, you will rarely run out of mana, making you extremely nice tank. And if you even have potions with this build, you will be pretty much invulnerable.

9. Surviving the Hell

Okay, many guys keep saying that mana shield is useless in hell, and that mentalist sucks big time. That however, is not true! Mentalist is quite good at soloing hell (at least in pure INT build).

Spells:
- Shape
- Mana Shield
- Mindbreak
- Meditate
- Riftwalk
- Mana Blade

Explanation:

Shape is a must - its your tanking device. Well, in hell, it dies in first hit, however, its really important that you kill all enemies while their attack is on cooldown after they attack shape. Plus, shape deals 2000 AoE damage (without teals) in pure INT build, and thats 1/3 of most creeps.
Mana shield goes without a word. How are you planing to survive Hell with 200 hp? With mana shield, you eliminate need for both healing and mana pots.
Mindbreak - this is your main damage skill. It deals 2200 AoE damage, thats second third of their health.
Meditate - Although some other spells may be better, i prefer this one for 500 extra mana. It kinda gets useful at all times. It lets you tank aditional Titan hit, or cast more spells.
Riftwalk - Bread and butter. It is blink, spell you really need in hell, plus it comes in with 2000 damage, thats last third of their health. After this spell, all enemies should be dead.
Mana blade - this spell is needed only for Infernal Machines. It does deal damage to them, making this spell only way you can kill them.

When you see a large group of creeps, cast shape, wait 5 seconds for cooldown to wear a bit off, and send your shape into the group. When they start swinging weapon, blink into them, cast mindbreak, and shape should die by then. Good job, you just killed a group of creeps in hell! Well, if there were any Titans, just blink out after your CD is off (mana shield should tank few hits for you), and keep casting spells whenever off CD. In case of Infernal Machines, just use mana blade, and auto-attack. You might want to make sure you drink potion to refill your mana and deal more damage.

Thats about it for hell, now mana shield haters, stop complaining, if i could survive farming in hell, so can you!

10. Maximum potential

Achieving maximum potential is quite hard. Following items are needed to do that:

- Phase Gloves
- Battlestaff of Masterja
- Chaos Boots
- Elemental Armor
- Armagica Helmet
- Ancient Mana Shield

This is without a doubt best item build. It is possible to swap Magisil and Magus Defender for Abyss mace, and have 1 Archmages Ring with you, however, i like Battlestaff + Manashield more. Anyway, whenever you cast a spell, you will deal 3500 damage or so, and with Mana Blade, you will do around 1500 damage. This will allow you to solo ANYTHING, i think that even Chronos can be soloed fine with this item build and bunch of potions.

Last edited by Masterja on Wednesday, 25. April 2012, 11:59:11, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 20:08:18 
Administrator

very nice guide!
I make it sticky. =)

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 20:18:45 
Level 30

Favorite Class: Elemental Mage
Garena Account: LorenzorroX_X
im pretty sure that you didnt try out other builds than 0/2/3 so how can you be certain that its the best build to lvl o_O

btw did you write the lvling guide for solo lvling?
you also say that dragonis is easy with manashield around lvl 50
i tried that and its not true

another thing is that you might be able to tank 1(!!!) rock of cronos attack but not more because you will be oom then and pots wont be enough to recover till the next hit
btw try manashield solo in hell and tell me again that you love it
you might survive a little longer but against bigger mob groups you are still dead in an instant :p

ill write more after i read the guide carefully

Guide to create custom hotkeys for Goh

Last edited by LorenzorroX_X on Thursday, 12. April 2012, 20:31:37, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 20:26:30 
Administrator

yeah, for example I think that mana blade is really overpowered if you think about a combination of mana shield (+1500 mana) and phase gloves (max attackspeed) with full-int build.

*ouch*

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 20:27:58 
Level 30

fully edited my post

its no offence but i think you were a bit hasty to write this guide that early

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 21:08:43 

Favorite Class: Necromancer
Garena Account: xMasterjax
No worries, ill update it as soon as i test other stuff out. This is just for the start, if people want to play mentalist, and dunno how.

However, i did solo dragonis on lvl 50 just to check, and it is indeed easy. Of course, i needed lots of potions to keep shield up. I guess its because i went full INT build, and from what i have seen, you went 3/0/2 or something...

Post Posted: Thursday, 12. April 2012, 21:18:02 
Level 30

yes i did
with 2/0/3 its hard because of a lack of dps :)

Post Posted: Friday, 13. April 2012, 10:10:13 
Level 11

Favorite Class: Priest
it looks like you played another mentalist then i did..

aurum was easy and gems road (at lvl20) as well. i did play without manashield and didnt need more then 1 pot per minute.. (mainly using arcane barrage shaping and power up +2spams).

Post Posted: Sunday, 15. April 2012, 13:45:03 
Level 12

Favorite Class: Ranger
Garena Account: furballwarrior
I don't like it when we pretend that manashield isn't underpowered currently.

I mean, if you like playing the hero as a challenge, nothing is stopping a guide for it... It's just it's definitely not as awesome as advertised. You don't have to praise a hero to the skies to write a guide for it.

Maybe i really just use it bad =x but i really feel manashield is low piority skill for solo mentalist. It's good in a team where you can prevent accidental deaths by getting unwanted aggro, but otherwise... 2 mana per damage point is ridiculous --

Post Posted: Sunday, 15. April 2012, 15:10:49 
Administrator

it is the other way arround 2 hitpoints per one manapoint.
so you decrease the damage taken always by the half with an activated mana shield.
it is like having 25 armor.

Robbepop

Board index » The Game » The Heroes » Mentalist