Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Shoutbox

Board index » The Game » The Heroes » Warrior

Post Posted: Monday, 28. January 2013, 02:56:02 
Level 10

Have thanks: 0 time
I want to start off by thanking those who have done character guides, and recommend
that readers refer to those first. My aim is to channel the essence of each character, to find their uniqueness, and gather where they are headed - based on my thought and outside input (feel free to post on this with your contributions).

(This is as of 1.33)

My second love, was in fact the Warrior. I had moved from the Ranger (due to the agil/armor change) and wanted someone with more solidity that also possessed damage. I have always liked the concept of the warrior in all games; he is the firm front line and a force to be reckoned with. The Warrior-type has never been about heavy spellcasting, and in that, he just puts himself out there in all his might, and eggs on the opponent to bring their best.

And I want to use “buzz” words/terms to get at what I feel the Warrior is about (in no particular order): strength, solid, front line, tank, beast, protector, battlethirst, bloodthirst, craftsmen, mercenary, nearly all physical, balance of offensive/defensive, brave, reliable, balance of aggression and patience, etc

To interpret these words into narrative:
I see the Warrior as a master of the art of war, particularly melee combat. By design, he is always the center of attention, not necessarily because he craves it, but because it is how he best can perform his job. In his endeavors, he manages the balance between a barbarian and a knight, and tends more towards the social angle of mercenary. His balancing of offense and defense is to his preference, and is always suited to the climate of the battle. He is a valued and often necessary protector to his allies. Whether he is out there slashing and burning or he is marching ever forward with his trusty shield ready to absorb the oncoming onslaught, he strikes fear in the enemy.

And to take a general (not intended to be in-depth) look at his current skills (courtesy of Overdossed’s guide) and add my assessment:

Anger
Pretty good passive, especially on dps builds. On level 27 you can get anger to level 10 and have 20 damage per creep, this is VERY effective with a maximum of 5 creeps. Leveling further than level 50 it loses its effeciently, all tho it might be good for auto-attack warrior vs Askalor. It's not necessary to take this spell on late Str builds, since you won't be auto-attacking much. It's very handsome early. It got changed on 20 damage per mob, and that makes this ability even more better!

-Great passive. The ability has since changed to a damage/attack speed gain which scales incrementally with percentage of hp lost. It is a valued skill to have as battle wears on, and a good companion to Concentrate.

Bashing
Another passive. It is a MUST for a STR build. For hybrid str/agi build it may work good too. Without this spell you can't do "almost perma-stun". This spell isn't much good early since the stun is so low. Using some non-stun spells such as *seismic slam, *combat roar and *whirle jump, you will actually stun enemies. On low levels it is doing very low stun, so you should spend your ability points into some other useful spells. Without bashing cooldown this would be the most op spell in the universe!

-It is a crucial skill in the current Warrior’s build, the attempt to perma-stun the enemy, and an essential companion to Seismic Slam because it casts when you cast a skill. As I value the angle to continually stun, this is exclusively a stun move, so it lacks versatility.

Knock air
A must for Agility and hybrid STR/AGI build. It's a luxury spell for STR builds. With it's tremendous damage and stun, this ability is quite the best passive for auto-attack warriors. Always a must for boss killing and leveling (I told for what builds). With a stun, (Knock-airbourne) you will manage to do additional 3-4 hits with max attackspeed. With phase gloves it will activate very often for STR builds. Dealing 200 damage + 1.0 STR on a 20% chance will result in 500:5 = 100 bonus damage per 1.56 seconds without mana cost. So it's quite esetional for both builds. Even in warrior dance i saw it knock guys into air.

-A great stunning passive with a damage attached, especially when the attack speed gets up there. Again this is an exclusively a stun/damage move, so lacks versatility. And while it seems cool to knock an enemy into the air, they cannot be targeted until they land. So it is really only good against single enemies.

Carnage
Heals 20% of your health when it kills a unit, it might be a good leveling spell if you are playing on wide screen! Deals plenty of damage, doesn't cost a lot of mana and with 6 second cooldown it's a good DPS ability. Carnage is most-likely for STR builds, with agility build you can't afford to do much damage with this spell. With Bashing you will even stun all enemies, not just the one you targeted. Also using this ability and pressing hotkey "S" you will still stun your enemies if you have bashing.

-Pure slaughter. That is what carnage is. And this mutilates any single enemy. It has a base damage based on strength or agility and does additional damage depending on how much hp you have lost. Plus it heals on a kill, which can help some in the heat of battle. In addition, the mana cost is relatively low compared to other skills that do damage, in case your build does not have much intel/mana.

Concentration
With 50% splash on any level, it may be used as a level 1 for leveling, so you can use mana for other spells. With bashing it stuns, so it will be effective on level 1 even more, with 20 mana 1.5 second stun. Strength is also useful, with that you will have more HP and give 140 more damage on level 10 abilities. It is a good ability for both STR/Agi builds.

-Now Concentrate. This ability is sick (take that as you may, because it fits multiple views). This ability has been completely revamped. It adds % of agility and strength, which just ups everything, notably damage, up to 5 stacks. It comes at a huge price per stack as it drains % life. It should not be tackled until your character can comfortably manage it. It is an ability that your Warrior dreams to master, and demands high healing from life regen, lifesteal, and other players.

Combat Roar
Not only a ability that gives you 40% damage, but gives your buddies the same amount! It is good support spell for STR builds and is a must for Agi builds. This spell should be leveled as you level up, since it isn't effective on the begining. It is a good luxury spell for hybrid STR/AGI build. Best used in teams, especially useful for your teams assassins and rangers. Well and I don't have much to say about this ability.

-A damage buff that benefits any character with good base damage, ie particularly heroes with a lot of agility, and therefore is good for multiplayer games. While this is a very helpful ability, I feel it needs more of something.

Inner Strength
A must for hybrid STR/Agi builds and good for STR auto-attack build. 50% Str will result in Str giving 0.5 attack damage, 10 health and 0.05 HP regen, while also increasing damage with abilities.
With skill STR build it isn't very usually in the ability usage, since you won't save your mana for other stunning spells, and since you have no summons you must use potions in most of the fights. Before it was even more handsome! it was stunning with bashing effect, but now it's disabled. This ability should be taken on 30 levels after you finish your 2 passives. Only use this ability from the moment it is level 6+. Be sure to have mana steal, in case you don't you will run out of mana.

-The ability description is a bit misleading. This is an ability which can be toggled on/off and drains up to 20 mana per second, in order to provide increased damage based on strength. It is a good way to rip damage, especially if you have good mana regeneration (via manasteal).

Smash
This ability is a must for any build, and just on level 1 it is so handsome. Doesn't deal much damage, costs a lot of mana (but it's on level 1 so it will make low mana cost), but it knocks guys into air and stuns after that for 2 seconds. Has very large area of effect radius, and it has 10 sec CD. Useful from first level to last point of MP and SP.

-Great against groups, but costs a lot of mana and has a long cooldown. Should be used carefully, and likely not at the max level unless you can support it.

Seismic slam
0.5 cooldown, 100 + 2.0 STR damage, this ability is a MONSTER for warrior's. Imagine spamming 2 times every second this spell it will result in 700+ damage every second(for bosses). With some spell damage it will go even further. But it's not reccomanded to spam this spell, since it doesn't stun. With bashing you may stun once in 2.5 seconds, and when that stun is over you should use some stun ability(Smash, Axe) Cooldown .75

-Got to like the super fast cooldown, but it is a one-note skill. In fairness, it is essential to accompaniment to Bashing in the aim to perma-stun.

Swift axe.
Ahh... another stunning spell. Not very usable for leveling since you can't manage to stun much enemies with just 1 axe! How ever, it costs minor less mana than smash, and deals minor more damage, while having faster cooldown. It is a nice spell for stunning. Luxury spell for auto-attack build. It is only in one line radius, not in a radius around you, remember that! 2 second stun is very good so it is one of the MUST spells for STR, skill build. Now bug is fixed where you can't stun knock aired enemies.

-Very cool idea for a boomerang axe. It hits on both paths, going and coming, plus it stuns. But how often are all the enemies lined up perfectly for you? Sometimes, but not enough to want this skill to take on mobs. Probably better for a single enemy, and should be adjusted more for that angle (and then hitting any others in the line is just bonus).

Warrior dance
It is a spiky 5 second stun(not stun), while it gives you magic immunity . It is definitely not a spell for Creep killing since you won't be able to auto-attack. Not recommended for auto-attacking build, while it is a must for Skill build. It works perfect with posion, or frost attack, since they won't be able to cast, or do an attack for 5 seconds. Works well vs Cronos, and askalor! Don't use it for leveling, it is a team spell.

-Cool idea, seems to conceptually favor the idea of an agile warrior, which is not typical to warriors and especially to the current art/design of the Warrior. It mini-stuns and magic immunity. But unless you are completely surrounded, the area effect has less than to be desired.

Whirl Jump
Deals more damage than other abilities, but it doesn't have stun. It may be used in Cronos encounter, but i don't see any other build that has space for this ability. It has been buffed recently, and has 3x faster leap speed. You shouldn't be using this for any other build other than cronos.

-Dual purpose of escape and damage. While this also seems to favor the concept of an agile warrior, I believe that the Warrior needs to have an ability that gets him quickly in and out of action.

So the future of the Warrior lies in the adjustment of these current skills. Certain ones need more variations when it comes to their angle, while still maintaining the essence and ideas of the Warrior. I think there needs to be less overlapping of current abilities (discussed in the next paragraph). While I am not critical about build versatility, it could use some refinement for those who do care. At this time, I think that the Warrior is a solid, viable character; however I also think more versatility is needed in ways to attack/defend the enemy as this current design only hits a couple notes.

With that in mind, here are some specific and non-specific suggestions:
Think about the overlapping of this dynamic: Warrior Dance vs (Smash ~= Seismic Slam) vs Swift Axe. There is too much similarity here in application. While I like the idea of Swift Axe, the area effect of Seismic Slam I prefer. And while Warrior Dance is cool, the only real perk is magic immunity, cause the area effect is too limited. I like the idea of a perma-stun, but try to balance this between 2-3 skills, where all of them have other purposes. I think that he should do more damage, through a couple more “tactical”angles, but overtly enough not to step on the feet of the Assassin. I think that he can tank more, but must be careful not to step on the toes of the heavenly-protected Seraph. Since I believe that the Warrior is not innately a warrior/healer (ie a Paladin), I think that his only healing should come stat distribution and items - which I think the healing should be increased on possibly both areas, but definitely the latter. As Carnage does not provide significant enough healing, it can stay the same. Does the Warrior truly possess this inner fire or burning desire, which is expressed through his model and some abilities, to dominate and manipulate the way battle progresses? I think he is well on his way there. Does his presence or this fire cause him to strike fear in the enemy? And if so, do we want this?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for your input. Let us all make a cooperative effort to make this a map worth playing for a long time!

Post Posted: Monday, 28. January 2013, 20:19:54 
Administrator

hiho,

very nice wall of text over there.
I have read it completely and have to agree in some points.
thank you for your opinion about the Warrior class in GoH RPG.^^

Robbepop

Post Posted: Wednesday, 30. January 2013, 07:47:06 
Level 10

@Rob: It takes some space to break down these characters...as you have seen with all of these analyses :) I know you are the creator, so you know better than I; but I am just trying to provide a solid frame for you to have something to work with and also for those wishing to add their opinion in the future development of these characters.

Post Posted: Wednesday, 30. January 2013, 13:14:30 
Administrator

what I can say is that I am always very happy about people like you which contribute their opinion about GoH RPG in a constructive post. =)

Post Posted: Thursday, 31. January 2013, 01:50:12 
Level 10

@Rob: I agree with you about being constructive. There is never a need to insult one's hard work. I know that as I have worked in writing groups, and people want positive criticism. Also many are fragile and insecure about their own work..but that is another issue altogether.

You are always respectful too Rob, and I really appreciate it :)

Post Posted: Friday, 01. February 2013, 19:11:59 
Level 9

Favorite Class: Warrior
So, carnage got some buffs about being stronger when your health is low. I didn't know that until i see this post (I rarely play 1.33 and rarely use carnage). Seems like Robbepop wants to make warrior become a berserker. Great job crazywolf. Why did you say new concentration is sick (actually i agree with you, only want to hear your opinion).

Post Posted: Friday, 01. February 2013, 20:41:38 
Level 5

Favorite Class: Seraph
Garena Account: freakingMad
good evening,

it's true carnage should deal more damage the lower your health gets if i read correctly.
but right now it does the opposite meaning it's strongest when you're full life.
i know this should actually go to the bugs section but it fit here quite well.

greetings,
freakingMad

Post Posted: Saturday, 02. February 2013, 11:09:00 
Level 10

@Unown:
I agree, there is definitely some "berserker energy" in the current build of the Warrior. On the concentration statement: "This ability is sick (take that as you may, because it fits multiple views)." I will hit a couple angles to quench your curiosity and also maybe for some comedy. In no particular order:
-Sick as in "super intense." It definitely pushes the bounds in its demand on the character and the high level of output.
-Sick as in "awesome or very, very cool." It definitely is a neat concept, and I respect the originality. To my knowledge, there is no other ability that can harness this much power.
-Sick as in "not well." The ability is probably not finished yet, because the imbalance it creates to use it (good luck using it in a practical setting on level 5) is very, very difficult to balance. I want to believe that in theory, it can be balanced, but I doubt that gear alone can do it. I love that it stacks, but I would like the ability to turn it on and off, instead of waiting out the time - which might be too late :oops: --I wish we had the cross-eyes smiley for this.
-Sick as in "ill." All that power comes at a cost, a cost that is literally killing your character. Some people like to play imbalanced characters, including myself, but I do not personally like to ride death that close. I need some sort of security blanket that I can control to give me a decent chance of not dying. You may argue to use less stacks, but I argue the max stacks should be playable and feasible at least for a short time (TBD) against the toughest bosses.

I hope that hits a couple major angles. If you have any more, feel free to post them.

@freakingMad:
You read Carnage correctly. I swear the ability has done more damage when my life has been lower, but I have not scientifically investigated it. Your findings should be reported in the bug section, but I do not think it is entirely off-base being here. I recommend you post it there as well if you have not already done so, as it is a one-stop compilation of bugs for Rob to review.

Post Posted: Saturday, 02. February 2013, 13:18:14 
Level 9

Favorite Class: Warrior
Instead of degen on concentrate, how about amplified damage taken (Suggestion).

Post Posted: Saturday, 02. February 2013, 14:37:59 
Administrator

Hiho,

in case of concentrate it was my intention to create a very hard dicision when activation this ability and how many stacks you need.
this ability's bonus effect is too awesome to not have a major negative side effect.
perhaps this side effect is too harsh but think about this:
the ability itself will never kill you directly!
so if you stack it many times and be able to kill the enemies early enough with it you will have no problems.
after the end of the ability's effect you will still have at least 1 life. xD

another idea for the negative side effect was to change from maximum life to current life and further increase the hitpoint loss ratio so that you basically have less life drain if your life is already very low.

Robbepop

Board index » The Game » The Heroes » Warrior